Thursday, October 26, 2006

Ten Things I think that I think

Sometimes I talk, write and think too much about sports (Did I just hear Karla say, “Amen!”?). With a favorite team in the Fall Classic in Baseball, and another favorite team beating all comers in football (the Wolverines, definitively not the Lions), it’s easy to talk (read: brag) a lot about sports. Still, I am trying to reform. To that end, this e-mail will be completely sports free. There will be no references to the World Series playing Detroit Tigers. No gloating on the #2 in the nation Michigan Wolverines (which will turn to #1 in the nation on November 18th following the whuppin’ – that’s Oklahoma talk for a very fine win—that Michigan will give the hated Buckeyes. Oops, you almost got me talking about sports). I will not mention Herm Edwards or the Kansas City Chiefs. I will not speak of my hopes for a hockey team to become the occupant of the yet to be completed Sprint Center in downtown Kansas City. In this e-mail, I will not even mention that it’s MNU’s homecoming this weekend and how I hope the mighty Pioneers will stomp Lindenwood College. There will be nary a word about basketball, soccer, volleyball or lacrosse. Yes, this e-mail will be a sports free zone.

Instead, it’s been a while since I’ve given y’all ten things that I think that I think. So here we go…

1) I think I am looking forward to seeing the 3,000 people or so that will be coming through our doors on Friday and Saturday for the Central Christmas Craft and Cookie Sale. I am praying that these folks will not simply see nice crafts and tasty cookies, but will see and sense the love of the Lord that is here.

2) I think I am tired of negative political ads on TV. If I see one more grainy, black and white, frowning picture of the rascally opponent of some candidate while an announcer is flinging more mud than a super motocross race, and then see the pure as Ivory Soap candidate’s smiling, happy video with cute babies and nice senior citizens I think I just might puke all those cookies I’m planning to eat.

3) I think the opening of the 87th Street exit off I-35 is a wonderful thing. It saves me a few minutes getting to the church every day, and it takes me right by Steve’s donuts. Steve makes tasty donuts.

4) I think my favorite animals this time of year are Tigers, Lions and Wolverines. I also like birds with Red Wings, but not Cardinals. (Those are not sports comments, but rather animal kingdom comments). And if you were to ask me, my favorite auto parts are Pistons. What’s your favorite auto part?

5) I think I’m getting excited for Sunday, November 19th. In the morning, Central will be celebrating 25 Years in Lenexa. Lenexa Mayor, Michael Boehm, will bring greetings from the city as we rejoice in what God has done over the last 25 years. That evening, we are planning a very special gathering where we will look forward to the next 25 years and discuss how we will “Now Finish the Work.” (Clear your calendars and stay tuned for more details).

6) I think brand new baby and son of our own Joe and Amy Hall, Samuel Hall, was very embarrassed to be seen wearing an Oklahoma Sooners beanie cap. Quite frankly, he told me that he believes he would look much better donning Maize and Blue apparel rather than red and white. (FYI…that also was not a sports comment, it was a fashion comment from little Samuel.)

7) I think I am still amazed at how well Annikah Tooley is doing. Major surgery sure doesn’t seem to have slowed her down. She is still the same smiling, beautiful baby that she has always been. Praise the Lord! Speaking of the Tooleys, they will be leaving for their missionary assignment in December. On November 12th in the evening service they will be sharing how God has led them on to this new journey.

8) Speaking of folks leaving, I think I am sad that this month we will have said “See You Later” to two terrific Board Members. Melanie and Bill Crayton moved to Nashville a week ago, and Brad and Tresha Richerson will be moving to San Antonio in a week. Both families have served the Lord and Central well and will be deeply missed!

9) I think that you might want to check out my new “blog.” It is still a work in progress, but it will contain this little e-mail each week for people who might not be on the list or folks who are checking out Central’s website. And if somehow your e-mail gets kicked out of our list (I don’t know how or why that happens, but from time to time it happens.) Which is kind of weird if you ask me, then you can still check out the latest stuff. The address is: www.pastorrobsblog.blogspot.com

and, 10) I think that Central Church of the Nazarene is a great place! I am so pleased to be your pastor, friend, and co-worker in the Kingdom. You have blessed me and my family in many ways. Thank you Central Nazarene!

No comments: