Friday, July 11, 2008

Facebook and Me

I have a Facebook account. For those who may not be aware of Facebook allow me to explain. Facebook is a social networking website launched in February of 2004 by a Harvard sophomore named Mark Zuckerberg. Today over 80 million people are on Facebook, and some have estimated that the company is now worth 8 billion dollars (that’s billion… with a “B”!) Suffice it to say young Mark Zuckerman probably isn’t eating Raman Noodles for dinner anymore. Facebook originally was limited to Harvard students, it then expanded to other colleges and high schools and the day before my 43rd birthday (September 26, 2006) was expanded so that anyone over the age of 13 could join.

My question became: Is it hip or creepy that someone my age has a Facebook account? My sons are both on Facebook. Several of our high school and college students are on Facebook. But should someone born before JFK’s assignation be on Facebook (I was not quite two months old on that fateful, November day in 1963, still I was alive and well and presumably sucking my thumb.)? So, to Facebook or not to Facebook that became the question. On Sunday, I decided to jump in.

Here’s what I’ve learned in the first four days of being on Facebook.

1) It was sad when I first signed up and read, “Rob Prince has 0 friends.” I quickly realized I had to invite others to be my “friend” or they had to discover my profile on other friend’s lists. I was so happy when I got my first “friend.” It was Jim Knight. Jim was a childhood chum, whose family moved to Colorado Springs when we were pre-teens so Jim’s dad could attend Bible College. I hadn’t see Jim in years.

2) Not wanting to look like a stalker or something, I decided to not ask anyone under college age to be my “friend.” If a student asks me to be his or her friend, and I know this person, I will happily comply, but it seems a little creepy for me to be asking students if “I can be their friend.” (Of course, I’ve asked Alex and Ben to be my “friend.” Ben said “yes.” I’m still waiting on Alex’s reply.)

3) I’m not the oldest person on Facebook. I have discovered that there are lots of us old guys on it. Both of my sisters (who technically are not “old guys” but do happen to be older than me) are on Facebook. My District Superintendant has a Facebook account. My goodness, Derl Keefer, who is the PrimeTime Director (read: Old Folks Director) for the Church of the Nazarene is a Facebook guy. (Although maybe Derl doesn’t count because besides having a really cool first name, Derl is a pretty hip fella with or without Facebook!)

4) All of the Central Staff has a Facebook account except for Jeremy Bond. Hmmm… maybe Jeremy needs a “Knuckleheadbook” account. (If you do not attend Central… this means nothing to you… sorry for the “insider” humor. To get these and other quirky bits of humor that often sprinkle these little pages…. attend Central church on a regular basis!)

5) After four days I now have 73 friends (I wish Central was growing at this same rate!).

6) It has been fun reconnecting with old college friends and folks from Michigan and fellow Centralites. My furthest away “friend” is Rod Green—he lives in Jordan. My closest “friend” is Ben Prince he lives down the hall.

7) The Facebook phenomenon is a tremendous example of the fact that we all have a desire to be connected. God has placed the need in us to be a part of a community, a group that is welcoming, inviting and loving. And the best news is that Jesus himself has said he wants to be connected to us. (Read all about it in John 15… that’s the Bible passage about Jesus being the Vine and we are the branches. There you can read such wonderful words from Jesus such as: “Remain in me, and I will remain in you.” John 15:4). I don’t think Jesus is one of the 80 million Facebook members, but I know this: He invites all of us to be his friend. Jesus said: “You didn’t choose me, I chose you.” (John 15:16). His desire is that we are connected not just to a group of people, but to Himself and to His Kingdom.

It’s been a fun few days on Facebook. If you are on Facebook and need another friend… send me an invite. If you could care less about Facebook, we can still be friends… just the “old fashioned way” of phone calls, lunches, letters, e-mails, etc. (which in my old fashioned, born pre-man-on-the-moon ways… still seems better than Facebook). But in all things, whether we are “Facebook friends” or regular friends or even if you view me like your strange cousin Harold (and want to avoid me at all costs) -- make Jesus your friend and always stay connected to Him.

No comments: