Friday, May 16, 2008

Bird Brain

I am a “the root beer glass is half full” kind of guy. In fact, I’m a “the root beer glass is half full and I think I even see a scoop of ice cream in the cup” kind of guy. I usually see the most optimistic, most positive, most hopeful side to things. If Robert Schuler called for people to take the lemons they’ve been handed in life and make lemonade—then I would add, “And open a lemonade stand, make some cash and use a portion of the profits to sponsor a child in Zimbabwe.” I don’t have a cool name like Zig Zigler, but I’m generally a pretty positive guy.
Having said all of that, even the most “Johnny Blue Skies” among us might be getting a little nervous as the world events seem to be getting more and more uncertain. A quick look at the newspapers reminds us that:
· The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan rage on.
· Is it just me, or does it seem like there has been more than our share of natural disasters lately? A cyclone in Myanmar, an earthquake in China, and tornadoes in the Midwest to name the tragedies from this week alone.
· Gas prices are high.
· The economy is low. (At the present rate, I think that by the time my economic stimulus check arrives, all I’ll be able to afford is one tank of gas and a Snickers Bar.)
· There are food crises in Haiti and Egypt. People can’t afford the most basic of staples like rice and bread.
· The Presidential politics and the obligatory mud slinging that follows will be a dominant theme for the next few months. Whether you are “O Baby” for Obama or McKooky for McCain—I think by November, most of us will be glad the campaign is over. (And if you are a “Silly for Hillary”… well… better luck next time).
· Even the weather has been pretty stinky this spring (although the last couple of days have been better).

So what is the Christ follower to do? I suppose we have several options and quite frankly all are for the birds…

The Ostrich Approach: Step One: Locate Sand. Step two: Stick head in it. Step Three: Stay there until 2024. Generally, ignoring problems is not the best way to overcome them and besides having all that sand in your hair is not recommended by Vidal Sassoon as proper hair care.

The Chicken Approach: Look at all the above facts and say, “I want out of this chicken coop! With all of this bad stuff going on, Jesus must be coming back tonight so I am emptying my bank account, giving away my flat screen TV to my sinner friends (‘cause I’ll be in heaven and I hear they have 200 inch Plasma TV’s in every mansion), and heading to the mountains to watch for Jesus’ return.” The problem with the Chicken Approach is that there have been those “chickens” that are more concerned about getting out of the coop than carrying about the other “chickens.” So they plan and strategize and act like Jesus’ return is coming before the evening news. But Jesus said, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven…” (Matthew 24:36) Do you remember Peter’s instructions? He wrote: “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promises, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9) In other words, Jesus’ return keeps getting delayed because God so loves the world. Hey, I’m glad he has waited—because I know some folks that aren’t quite ready to meet Him. If it means a few more days in the coop for some of my friends to find Jesus, I can wait.

The Sparrow Approach: Look at all the above facts and say, “Wow… that’s a lot of bad stuff, but I know this… God is in control.” Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:26-27) So it doesn’t matter what is happening in the world; it doesn’t matter who is living in the White House; it doesn’t matter how high the price of ethanol rises; and it doesn’t matter who wins the World Series. Jesus is in control. He calls us to love Him and love people and let him worry about the rest.

The Eagle Approach: Looks at the above facts and like the sparrow says, “I’ve got no worries” in fact, I’m going to move beyond the circumstances of the day and soar. Isaiah said, “God gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” (Isaiah 40:29-31. Italics mine). An eagle looks at the news and says “God has given me this excellent opportunity to make a difference. With Him, I can soar above the situation. With Him, I will have the strength. With Him, I can be victorious. With Him, there is not a situation that I can not overcome! God is bigger than wars and earthquakes and hunger and presidential politics. God is bigger than the temporary problems and my hope is in Him! Not only will I not worry, but I will be victorious!

So if you must be a bird brain and get your feathers in the ruffle over the events of the day, then pick the right bird to follow. As for me, I want to soar with the Eagles!

No comments: