Thursday, January 03, 2008

A blown head gasket

After Karla commandeered this e-mail last week, I thought I had better take it back over or soon she would be preaching on Sundays and wanting to officiate at weddings. So from my bedside…

I was reading a list of some famous (and infamous) people who passed away in 2007. Among others on the list were people like Anna Nicole Smith, Don Ho, Lady Bird Johnson, Jerry Falwell, Evel Knieval, Kurt Vonnegut, Merv Griffen and Tammy Faye Bakker Messner. I noticed one name that wasn’t on the list: “Rob Prince.” I am told that it very easily could have been. As such, I am keenly aware that I have been given a gift this Christmas season. It wasn’t wrapped in fancy paper. It had no tag from a sender, but I have been given a tremendous gift: Life.

As most of you know, on December 20, 2007, I had a brain hemorrhage, or a brain bleed or in some ways a brain/blood problem. My non-medical, motor city rendering for what took place in my noggin is: A Blown Head Gasket. I definitely do not recommend such an event on the Thursday before Christmas. Imagine your worst headache, times ten, and happening instantly while sipping your morning’s McDonald’s coffee. That was my Thursday morning two weeks ago. While I do not remember much from the first few days, I do recall that in the first few moments before leaving my desk, thinking “Wow, I think I am either having a stroke or a brain aneurism.” I also remember praying: “Lord, I am pretty sure that you and I are OK, just be with my family in the next few days.” I’ll be honest-- that’s a very, very weird prayer to pray.

Well, since I am writing this e-mail, it’s fairly obvious that God has been with my family and me these last two weeks. I am doing well, and while fighting fatigue and headaches, the doctors are expecting a full recovery without any surgeries. Here are a few observations from the last few weeks:

1) Life can change in an instant. Be ready. Always be ready to meet with God.

2) Our Central family is awesome! I have received so many cards and reminders of how the church is suppose to act and love. Thank you Central Nazarene!!!

3) Hospital Food is not nearly as good as Central food. Many meals, yummy meals have been sent to our house. Thanks again, Central Naz!

4) If I saw you in my first two hospital days, please allow me to offer this disclaimer: I said many goofy things either as a result of 1) the brain hemorrhage, or 2) the medication for the brain hemorrhage. So disregard anything I may have said. Here’s one example: One of my ICU nurses asked me if I ever introduced myself as “Roberto.” When I said, “Never,” she informed me that was exactly how I introduced myself to her and what I wanted her to call me on that fateful Thursday. Weird. Very Weird. Please no one call me, “Pastor Roberto.”

5) Two facts from the week of the “Blown head gasket:”
Fact #1: The doctors believe that a spike in my blood pressure caused the hemorrhage.
Fact #2: Less than 24 hours before the “blown head gasket,” my 16 year old cherub, Alex, received his first ever Kansas Driver’s License.
Alex insists that Fact #1 has no correlation to Fact #2. He’s probably right.

6) As I enter 2008, I anticipate making a few life changes this year. I’ll probably exercise more, eat less fries and more salads, and in all things appreciate the moments of grace and joy that the Lord provides every, single day. (I see my doctor today; he might offer a few more suggestions).

7) I am very appreciative of a great wife, a loving family, a wonderful church and a gracious Lord who never left my side.

No comments: