Monday, April 02, 2007

Dishwasher Troubles

As some know, we Princes are smack, dab in the middle of a little renovation project at our house. What began as new kitchen countertops has morphed into a new kitchen, walls being torn out, and life being under construction. Anyway, our little project has left us without a kitchen sink for the last few days. All the plumbing is unhooked, and we’ve been using the bathroom sink to rinse off dishes and do all the things for which one normally uses a kitchen sink.

Last evening, as Karla was painting and I was doing… ummm… nothing, she suggested I wash the dishes. No problem I thought. I’ve washed plenty “o” dishes in my day. Like the Easter Bunny on Easter morning, I went at my work with great fervor. Loading the dish washer in record time, I quickly pushed the “Wash” button and in a move that would have made Al Gore proud I also pushed the “Energy Saving” button. The dishes would soon be sparkling clean and done with no ill effects on our nation’s energy reserves.

Not long into my prideful, “I’m such a good husband because I did the dishes” moment, it dawned on me that if the sink was not connected then more than likely the dishwasher also would not be connected. And if the dishwasher wasn’t connected, then when the water cycled through the old Maytag there would be no place for the old yucky water to go except onto the cabinet floor underneath the sink area. Yikes!

About the time of my dishwasher mechanics epiphany and realizing that I had an impending disaster on my hands, the dishwasher went through its first cycle. I dove for the hose (which at this point was somewhat like a deflating balloon flying everywhere spewing water in every direction), while yelling at Karla (not yelling really, “loudly requesting” her assistance) to turn off the dishwasher. With water spraying all over the cabinet, the floor and mostly on me, Karla opened the dishwasher door, ending the cycle and stopping the shower.

Karla thought having her prideful husband baptized in dirty dishwasher water was the work of the Lord. Since God didn’t have handy a big ol’ whale to swallow me up like he did for a somewhat prideful prophet a few thousand years prior, in her opinion, a dirty dishwater spraying hose was the next best thing. She thinks God has a great sense of humor and he was teaching me a lesson. She thought the episode was quite amusing indeed.

I think the Lord has a great sense of humor too, but I disagreed with her theological conclusion. I think the lesson was: “Why didn’t you stop at countertops?”

I guess we’ll have to disagree on the lesson learned last night, but one thing we both agree on is that this Palm Sunday is going to be GREAT! I can’t wait. I’m giddy with anticipation for the day to arrive.

No comments: