Thursday, July 19, 2007

Some Cool Things (besides Ben in the snow)


It’s been a hot week, but here are some cool things that have been going on:

COOL THING #1:
I have just returned from a regional Prayer Summit held on the campus of MNU (Actually it was held in the brand spanking new Cultural Events Center. Wow… that’s a nice building. MNU can be proud!). Someone is asking: “What’s a prayer summit?” It was a gathering of pastors with the purpose of meeting with the Lord. There was no speaker. No notebooks. No real agenda other than meeting with Jesus. Overall, that’s a pretty good idea, don’t you think?

It was a wonderful 48 hours (I am sure that you will hear more about in the future). I left with this verse: “But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things that you do!” Psalm 73:28

That’s how I view my calling and my life. As for me-- I want to be near God. I want Him to be my shelter. He is so good!!! Moreover, I want to share this wonderful news. I want to tell everyone the wonderful things that the Lord has done. I want everyone to experience the love and joy and blessings of being near to God. I want everything that I do and the focus of my life to be leading people to the discovery that the Lord is good. Isn’t that what “making more and better disciples” is all about?!

COOL THING #2:
I am the widow who found her coin.
I am the shepherd who found his sheep.
I am the father whose boy returned home.
I am the traveler whose lost suitcase is finally home! Hooray!!!

On Monday I received a call from a nice man at British Airways who said my suitcase had been found and that I should be receiving it in a day or two. He believed that it spend most of the last 23 days sitting in the lost luggage department in Tel Aviv. In any event, yesterday while I was participating in the prayer summit (yes, I did pray that my bag would be found), a Fed Ex delivery man brought my Samsonite home. In so doing, he ended the 23 day odyssey for my little suitcase. Everything I put in the bag was still there. A little messed up, but there. The translation equipment, Q-Tips, other packages for the missionaries and my clothes were all there. My soap bottle opened so I had a nice “Old Spice” scent to the bag, but other than that nothing was too worse for the wear. So like the shepherd, widow and father in Luke 15, I say: “Rejoice with me, that which was lost is now found!”

Cool Thing #3
Our new church board cook-out was last night at the “Prince palace.” We ate chicken and brats and had a good time of fellowship. We have a great group of leaders. They are ready to help us move forward in the days ahead. They love God and Central! That’s a great combo!!!

Cool Thing #4
We have so many exciting things just on the horizon at Central. Here’s a glimpse of what you will be hearing about in the days ahead:
• District Homecoming Communion Service (at college church) on August 5th at 6PM
• A Wild Goose Chase Night on August 12th at 6 PM (This will be a prayer service like you’ve never been in before).
• Pastor’s Prayer Team Luncheon on August 19th following the 11 AM Service. (The prayer teams are going to be Re-Newed, Re-Organized, Re-vitalized, and Re-Set! I’m excited about this prayer Re-focusing. If you are curious about the prayer teams, interested in the prayer teams, been a part of a prayer team in the past or if you are thinking about being a part of a prayer team in the future… consider yourself invited!!!).
• Youth Burger Bash on August 22nd. YUM!
• Dinner Theatre on August 23-25th Double YUM!
• VISION 2017 Sermon Series begins in the AM Services on August 26 (For three Sundays we are going to be looking at future: God’s plans, dreams and expectations of his people as we “make more and better disciples” in the days and years ahead.)
• All Church Labor Day Sunday Picnic on September 2nd following one combined 10 o’clock service we will eat, fellowship, and we might even talk the “washer tournament guys” to bring their wares so we can toss a few washers.
• Super Friends and the NEW Fall Line-up of Wednesday Night Classes begin on Wednesday, September 5th. Stay tuned for the exciting offerings this fall!
• Ladies Retreat on September 7-8. I’m told the ladies have a GRRRREAT Time, but sorry: No boys allowed!
• Ministry Fair on September 9. This is the day to learn more about the ministries of Central and get involved!
• GOT Missions Weekend (formerly known as Faith Promise) on September 15-16. This is the day to see how you can be involved in Missions! Being involved in missions is not an option Jesus calls us to it… and at Central we want to provide you with plenty of opportunities to fulfill Jesus’ call!
• Biker Sunday September 23. Mission comes home!! Reaching Bikers for Jesus is always cool! On September 23rd I will also begin a new Fall Sermon Series: “SAY WHAT? Seven things I wish Jesus had never said.”
• The Annual Central Christmas Craft Show on October. More people come through our doors during these three days than any other time in the year. Do you think God can use this time for His Glory? I think so too!!!

There’s still more things to get excited about… This fall we’ll be launching a brand new, Hispanic Worship Service (I am so excited about this I can begin to tell you!); on Reformation Sunday in October we are going to have an AWESOME Sunday Morning Service celebrating the transforming work of God including baptisms in both morning services; we have scheduled a new kind of multi-generational, “revival-retreat-new-thing-that-we’ve-never-tried-before-event” called COLLIDE for late fall; and then of course there will be at all the wonderful Christmas Events for which Central is famous.

WOW! Let me catch my breath! See what I mean—it is going to be the most awesome fall! I can’t wait!!!! This is a great time to be a part of Central Nazarene! God is doing a great thing in this place!

No comments: