Thursday, July 05, 2007

Home Sweet Home


Ah home again, home again jiggity, jig!

Following a week of no luggage (thank you British Airways) and a bomb scare in London that caused me to spend an extra night in the United Kingdom when my flight and over 100 others were cancelled (thank you stupid person that jumped through security), I finally made it home last evening.

I have many stories that I will share I am sure, but allow me this little observation following all our 4th of July celebrations yesterday. I was reminded over and over again how blessed we are in America. We have it so good in America, and yet too often we complain.

For instance:
• I was with a group of pastors who are routinely called in by the secret police and questioned about their activities. Never once have the governmental authorities called me in to question my pastoral activities.
• Phones are tapped. Their lives are being watched. That has never happened to me.
• I met with an Iraqi pastor who one month ago was informed by the city officials that if he did not move from the area in one week he would be killed. He and his family immediately left the town and now have no idea what to do or where to go. I have never been threatened because of my faith in Christ.
• I met with an Iraqi family living as refugees in Jordan. They left Iraq following the father being kidnapped and the family having to pay a ransom for his release. Our city is safe. We don’t fear thugs harming our lives.
• Another Iraqi told me how his parents have disowned him because of his faith in Christ. I have never had to choose between Jesus and family.
• There is a Christian businessman in Jordan who when the towns people discovered that he is a Christian, stopped doing business with him and now no one shops in his store. I haven’t had to decide if food on the table was less important that Christ in my heart.

Story after story, where being a Christian is not easy. It has affected every relationship and every aspect of life and yet they still choose Christ. Would we?

My prayer is that we will be as faithful. That we will be thankful for the freedoms that we take for granted. I pray that we will be diligent to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ that do not have the ease that we have. And in all things we will focus on Christ and sacrificially following Him.

It was a great trip. Stay tuned as I share more stories.

No comments: