Thursday, June 14, 2007

I had a good teacher!

Did I tell you that while I was in Nashville a week or two ago I saw our own Bill and Melanie Crayton? Bill and Melanie moved to Nashville a year ago because of a job change. We were able to go to dinner (along with super Centralite and all ‘round good guy, Mike Stipp, and another pastor friend of mine, Winton Fine). It was a lot of fun. But I sure miss the Craytons!!!

While in Nashville, I also saw my old friends Vince and Debbie Flippo. Vince and Debbie are brother and sister. Both are in ministry. Vince pastors in the Great Lake State, and Debbie has served as a missionary in Central America and has just finished a doctoral program. Whenever I see Vince we have our own little greeting. It goes like this:
Me: West is best!
Vince: East is least.
You see the Flippos and I are from the same home town. We all attended the same high school, Garden City West (hence, why we are convinced that West is Best, and East is least!). Vince graduated a couple years before me, and Debbie graduated with my brother. For a while we attended the same little Nazarene Church.

We were reminiscing about those days when Debbie said to me: “You know I became a missionary because of your dad.” Debbie proceeded to tell me that my dad was her pre-teen Sunday school teacher (we called it the “Junior” class in those days), when we all attended the Elmwood Church of the Nazarene. According to Debbie, as part of his lessons, my dad encouraged all in the class to read missionary books that the church provided; he talked about missions; and, he prayed that the students would be open to hearing from the Lord. Well, Debbie read those books, paid attention to the lessons, and did indeed hear the Lord say, “GO!” So she went.

It was neat hearing Debbie talk in such kind ways about my dad. Of course, I always knew the impact he made upon my family. It was cool to hear it from others. You see, following his conversion, my dad made a complete life turn around. He went from a person for whom following Christ was the farthest thing from his mind to becoming a model of a consistent, Christ-like disciple. I believe it was my parent’s consistent obedient walk that is the biggest reason that my siblings and I are all following Christ today.

As you know, this week is Father’s Day. Hearing Debbie talk about my dad reminded me again how thankful I need to be for Christian parents, and how much I, like my dad, want to model a consistent Christian life before my boys.

It also was a reminder for all those that work with our children and teens—your life makes a difference. The student you are encouraging today could be a missionary tomorrow!

No comments: