Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Sad Day

I am broken hearted today, as I think all of Kansas City and America should be. The news of Kelsey Smith’s death has shaken me.

For those of you who read this article but do not live in the Kansas City area and may not know the name Kelsey Smith, let me catch you up to date: Kelsey was a recent graduate of the Shawnee Mission West High School, by all accounts a wonderful person, a cute girl, and was abducted from a Target parking lot (just a few miles from Central) and murdered on the outskirts of Kansas City on Saturday. They found her body this afternoon.

I don’t know Kelsey and never met her parents. Still, I can’t imagine their immense grief. All the joy and pride of her graduation, the thrills and love and laughter of graduation parties, and the hopes of a long and wonderful future came to an abrupt end because of the sinful and evil behavior of an individual.

I know this article is usually light hearted and is meant to bring a smile along with a message. But I am sad today. Sometimes it’s hard to sing when life hurts. I am sad for Kelsey’s family, and for all of us. I am sad that evil happens. I am sad that people will not feel safe in going on simple trips to the store or mall. I am sad we live in a society where people can be so messed up that they can in their mind some way justify such evil and cold hearted behavior. I am just sad.

In moments such as these, I pray for our Lord to do what he does best. Come along side those that are hurting and say “I am with you.” I have seen God move in the midst of overwhelming sorrow and bring peace. It‘s my prayer that God will move once more for all of us.

Today, the sun is shining and life goes on. But I’m still sad. I’ll probably hug my boys a little longer tonight. I will probably be a little more aware of my surroundings in parking lots for a while. I will probably want to work that much more to create a new culture where God’s love reigns. And I will say with John the Revelator: Come, Lord Jesus, Come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto for the Gormans. Since word of the Smiths' horrible trial on Saturday night we have been able to think and pray about nothing else. It would appear that the family loves Jesus as Savior and Lord, so it is nice to know that they will not face the depths of this valley alone. Thank you, Jesus.