Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hurricanes in Kansas

I took a lot of grief for something I prayed for on Sunday. TOOK GRIEF FOR SOMETHING IN MY PRAYER! I think somewhere it says that it is wrong to make fun of a guy’s prayer. And if there isn’t a book that says that it’s wrong to make fun of a guy’s prayer—then maybe I should write that book. For I know first hand how making fun of a prayer can hurt (sniff. sniff.)! In our church (a usually friendly and hardly ever a mean place), we have a few cold, non-spiritual, “tease a guy for his prayer” type of people—a group that includes all of the pastoral staff, my son and half of the early service crowd (the other half thought about making fun, but were sensitive and kind and refrained from using less than encouraging comments).

Here’s what happened: In the 8:30 service on Sunday morning, I was praying to the Lord (not to the “prayer teasers,” mind you), and requesting God’s help in the very serious and tragic situation in Greensburg Kansas, when I prayed these words: “Lord, help those folks who were hit by the hurricane in western Kansas.” That’s right, I prayed for the “Kansas hurricane victims.”

I am not a meteorologist, nor the son of a meteorologist, but even I know that hurricanes come to Kansas with a slightly less frequency than World Series Championships. Still the comments ensued:

“Maybe you had hurricanes in Michigan, but in Kansas we have tornadoes.” (For the record: We did not have hurricanes in Michigan either.)

“Hey, Al Gore must be right. This global warming thing is a huge problem since we are having hurricanes in Kansas!!!”

“I was watching the Wizard of Oz and when that Hurricane came and swept Dorothy away. It scared the bejeebers outta me.”

Ha. Ha. Ha. Everybody thinks they are the next Jay Leno! But picking on a guy’s prayer? Surely there is something unholy about that!

All kidding aside, I’m glad that the Lord knows our prayers even when we don’t pray them very well, or don’t know what words to use. I’m glad that while you and I may have communication problems, God always knows what we mean and what we pray. Listen, when it comes to prayer-- it’s not the words that are important, it’s what’s in your heart. When you pray, worry less about having correct grammar and more about having a correct attitude.

You see when you pray, you are talking to the Lord. Not to your kids, not to your parents, not to your spouse, but to the Lord! And it’s been my experience, that God not only understands our prayers but is genuinely glad when we recognize our need to spend time with Him. So much so, that He is not concerned at all that we weren’t English majors or Phi Beta Kappa’s in college.

Bottom line: Just pray! Even if you say the wrong words, still pray. Even if you end up praying for the hurricane victims in Kansas, keep on praying. God will know what you mean. But take it from me; should you pray for hurricane victims in Kansas, all other hearers of that prayer besides the Lord may feel compelled to tease you mercilessly.

No comments: