Thursday, May 03, 2007

Two years and counting

This week I passed a small milestone (which by all accounts is far better than passing a small kidney stone, but I digress….). My milestone is that I have been the pastor of the Central Church for two years. Wow! Does it seem like two years? It was two years ago on Tuesday (May 1st) that I preached my first sermon. Trey Brooks (a.k.a. “Intern Trey” and soon to be “Children’s Pastor Trey” at Grace Point Church of the Nazarene in Fort Wayne Indiana) asked, “Why would you preach a sermon on a Tuesday? Wasn’t the sanctuary empty?” But two years ago, May 1st was a Sunday and I stood behind the big fiberglass pulpit for the first time. (I now preach behind a smaller fiberglass pulpit. Pastor Busic and Dr. Robinson, both taller than me, could easily use the taller, bigger pulpit. I felt a little like the wee little man Zacchaeus behind that big ol’ glass pulpit. Hence the smaller one is more to my liking.) Anyway, I’ve been called “Pastor Rob” at Central church for two years.

Because of this little milestone, I have been thinking about the last two years and reflecting on what has and hasn’t occurred.

Since arriving in Kansas City, I have eaten more than my share of Mexican food. Here’s the Mexican Restaurants that I have entered in the last two years: Taco Bell, Taco Via, Taco Bueno, Chipotle, a couple of different Jose Peppers, Don Chilitos, On the Border, Chapala’s, Jalapeños, Panzon’s, Baja 600, Mi Ranchito, La Mesa (in Olathe and Louisburg), and the Mexican restaurant on the corner of 79th and Quivira whose name I have forgotten. I know that Kansas City is known for its barbeque—but that’s a lot of tacos, burritos and salsa. You would think that I would be more fluent in Spanish having spent so much time in such eateries. But alas, I’m still the guy who asked a child on our El Salvador mission trip, “What is your name-o?” Ugh! I think I should have enrolled in our Wednesday Night Spanish class with Spanish teacher extraordinaire, Karen Tritt.

Since pulling my Chevy onto these grounds, I have become aware of several other Kansas City facts besides the good Mexican and barbeque joints: Summer is hot. Winter can be icy. Houses are painted beige. Gas and car insurance are cheaper in Kansas, but health costs and groceries are more expensive. People drive slower on the highways, and there seems to be more friendly officers on highway patrol (Hmm… maybe those two things are related). Motorcyclists don’t need a helmet; fourteen years olds can drive; and there are a lot more “foreign cars” on the roads here than in my hometown. There are fewer pot holes in the roads here, but there are also fewer lakes. We grocery shop at HyVee here, VG’s there. There’s no Tim Horton’s, Meijer, Halo Burgers or White Castle here, but Michigan didn’t have BBQ or Black Dog Coffee or the Plaza. When I looked out my window there, I saw horses. When I look out my office window here, I see houses.

When Ben and I were at the Royals Game on Monday (By the way, we were cheering for the Royals, — the boys in Blue were playing the LA Angels—admittedly, later this week when the Royals play the Tigers, I might not be able to cheer for Buddy Bell’s players), I asked Ben if he wanted to move back to Michigan. With little thought he said, “No I don’t think so, I like Kansas.”

I like it too!

You have made us feel welcome, cared for and loved in these last two years. So thanks Central Nazarene!

I’ve learned some things about Central too. We are a church filled with great followers of Jesus Christ. We are a mission minded church, that’s becoming even more mission minded. We are a church that is frequently called “friendly.” We have many talented singers and musicians. We have some of the best small group leaders and Sunday School teachers anywhere. We have a dedicated support and pastoral staff. But we also have more work to do.

Our call is to make more and better disciples. And we could do better on both fronts. I know this, I have friends and neighbors and loved ones that have yet to experience the deep, wonderful, abiding peace of Christ…and I bet you do too. I know of a lot of hurting and troubled people that are all around us. I know that there are still lots of opportunities to make “more and better disciples.” We can do a better job of leading people to Christ, connecting people to Christ and each other, and sharing and caring for the needs around us.

We’ve had a good two years, but far better days are ahead as we look to Christ.

No comments: