Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Perfect Gift


Karla’s birthday is a little less than a month away, so I’ve already begun to think about what her gift should be. I need to plan now, since I am a notoriously poor gift giver. Remember, I’m the guy that gave her dead tulips on Valentine’s Day a year ago. Besides discovering that dead flowers are probably not a good gift idea, I have learned a few things down through the years about gifts for Karla.

I’ve learned that I can’t buy her jewelry. I can’t afford what she wants, and what I can afford, she doesn’t want. Jewelry is out.

I’m a little color blind, (or is it colored blind?). My eye doctor tells me that some of the colors I see are not the colors most people see, so I’ve learned not to buy anything that has a color choice. That means no clothes, lipstick varieties, and no decorations for the house.

I’ve learned that anything from Victoria’s Secret is not a good choice. After nearly 20 years of marriage and two kids, my idea and Karla’s idea of perfect sleepwear are not even in the same galaxy.

I’ve learned to avoid all things useful. Once I purchased my sweetie cookware for her birthday. Big mistake! A word of warning: Tossed pots hurt! (OK, now the truth: I did purchase Karla a pan for her birthday once, but she did not turn it into a weapon. Karla is too sweet to pound me with a pot! She may have been tempted a time or two, but she has never thrown a pan in anger.)

I’ve learned not to purchase anything that would remotely hint that weight-loss is needed. “Oh so you think I’m fat” is the swift response after opening such a gift. No dieting books. No exercise equipment. No memberships to Weight Watchers.

I’ve learned to not divulge the price of what I do purchase. I am sure to get one of two responses:
“Rob, you know we can’t afford that! What were you thinking?” or
“Rob, is that all I’m worth? What were you thinking?”

Do you see my dilemma? What should I get her? I’m leaning towards purchasing a Chia Pet. I hear they make the “perfect gift.”

Obviously, a good gift giver I am not.

God, on the other hand, is a great gift giver. And this Sunday we will be celebrating His glorious gift to us—the promised Holy Spirit. Remember Jesus told the disciples: "Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised, as I told you before. John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." (Acts 1:4-5 Italics mine). After ten days of praying, God did not disappoint. He sent his glorious Gift. The Holy Spirit came in a wonderful and powerful way, gave birth to the church, and introduced to world to a dynamic new day!

There are three great holidays for the Christian. That is, we have three days to celebrate a wonderful gift from the Father. On Christmas we celebrate the gift of the Son. On Easter, we celebrate the gift of life eternal. And on Pentecost we celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. This Sunday is a Party Day! Like the old song proclaims:
O spread the tidings round, wherever man is found,
Where ever human hearts and human woes abound.
Let every Christian tongue proclaim the joyful sound:
The Comforter has come!

Be prepared for a great celebration. When you enter the sanctuary you will recognize the colors have changed from White to Red. Red symbolized the fire and power of the Holy Spirit. You will also notice candles burning. Again they symbolize the power, might, and consuming fire of the Holy Spirit. Other wonderful things are in store, it will be a celebration you will not want to miss.

No comments: